Scientist - Neurology
At Alector, we believe that neuro-degeneration and dementia are immune disorders and we made it our mission to empower the immune system to cure Alzheimer’s disease, frontotemporal dementia, ALS and other degenerative brain conditions. We are supported by healthcare investors including Orbimed, Polaris, Google Ventures and count some of the most innovative pharma companies as our strategic backers.
Would you like to create something new that really makes a difference? Do you desire autonomy in taking on scientific challenges that interest you? Would you like to be part of a talented team where everyone has a voice?
Use your scientific and critical thinking skills to help us achieve our mission of saving lives by curing neurodegenerative diseases.
As Scientist and critical member of the committed Neuro-Immunology team, you’ll help Alector discover and develop novel drugs targeting dementia and other neurological disorders. You will design and prioritize your own experiments and research endeavors to further Alector’s collective scientific understanding. In doing so you’ll apply your scientific insights to grow the company and guide its direction. Your work will be both inside and outside of the lab, and both strategic and hands-on. As an early hire, you’ll be influential in championing and developing Alector’s culture.During the first year, your goals will include:
- Independently leading a high-priority target discovery project from-end-to-end, from high-level design and planning to running experiments, assessing results and identifying the critical path forward to a fast go/no-go decision within a year of project start
- Being a great partner to both academic collaborators and contract research organizations to ensure successful joint efforts
- Collaborating within and across teams, including mentoring others on your areas of expertise so that they can learn from your relevant extraordinary skills
- Analyzing current scientific literature to help identify new targets or new strategies for existing targets
- Supporting ongoing projects based on your scientific knowledge and skills
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You enjoy finding creative and novel ways of thinking through scientific questions, and are an extraordinary critical thinker
- You take pride in being persistent, self-motivated, hands-on, and scrappy
- You demonstrate a track record of proficiency across a variety of techniques and instruments to seek answers to your scientific questions
- You have experience in several of: molecular biology, biochemistry, ELISA, flow cytometry, or in vivo mouse genetics
- Your academic background includes a PhD with 3+ years of postdoc research in a premier research lab (in neurobiology, neuroscience, neuro-immunology) or PhD+ 2 years of work in an industry setting
- You thrive in an environment where we work independently and on team
- You have strong points of view but are low ego
Prior experience working with mouse models of neuro-degeneration and/or antibody discovery is a bonus.
Alector is a great place to learn and experiment. If you excel in a dynamic environment where everyone is committed to finding a cure, where you’ll drive growth, this is the role for you. There is no limit to how far you can go with us.
While we’ve focused on what to look forward to during the first year and beyond, Day One is great, too: committed and driven colleagues, a bold and important company goal, state-of-the-art brand-new brightly-lit offices in the heart of the biotech area, competitive compensation and benefits. But these matter only if you’re excited to build and own something great, and take on these challenges with us. Come join us.