Research Associate (RA) - neurology
At Alector, we believe that neuro-degeneration and dementia are immune disorders and we made it our mission to empower the immune system to cure Alzheimer’s disease, frontotemporal dementia, ALS and other degenerative brain conditions. We are supported by healthcare investors including Orbimed, Polaris, Google Ventures and count some of the most innovative pharma companies as our strategic backers.
Would you like to create something new that really makes a difference? Do you desire autonomy in taking on scientific challenges that interest you? Would you like to be part of a talented team where everyone has a voice?
Use your hard-earned research and laboratory skills to help us achieve our mission of saving lives by curing neurodegenerative diseases.
As Research Associate for the neuro-immunology team, you’ll work closely with - and under the mentorship of - our scientists to discover and develop novel drugs targeting dementia and other neurological disorders. You will carry out valuable experiments which will further Alector’s collective scientific understanding. You will apply your existing technical skills, learn new skills, and play a key role in important research that will help grow the company and guide its direction. As an early hire, you’ll be influential in championing and developing Alector’s culture.During the first year, your goals will include:
- Conducting cellular and molecular analyses, such as functional assays, flow cytometry, ELISA, RNA/DNA analyses, and Western blotting, primarily with immune cell types from both human and mice
- Recording experiments and results; analyzing, interpreting, and presenting data to the rest of the company
- Performing established and routine in vivo procedures
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You take pride in being persistent, self-motivated, and efficient
- You thrive in an environment where we work independently and on teams
- You have two or more years of full-time work experience in the lab (in industry or at an academic institution)
- You're proficient across several technical skills, such as ELISA, FACS, IHC, Western blot, RNA/protein isolation
- You have experience handling mice and working with primary cells or cell line cultures
- You demonstrate a track record of learning new things and troubleshooting independently
- Your academic background includes a Bachelor’s (required) in biochemistry, chemistry, biology or a related scientific field
- You have a point of view but are low ego
Alector is a great place to learn and experiment. If you excel in a dynamic environment where everyone is committed to finding a cure, where you’ll drive growth, this is the role for you. There is no limit to how far you can go with us.
While we’ve focused on what to look forward to during the first year and beyond, Day One is great, too: committed and driven colleagues, a bold and important company goal, state-of-the-art brand-new brightly-lit offices in the heart of the biotech area, competitive compensation and benefits. But these matter only if you’re excited to build and own something great, and take on these challenges with us. Come join us.