Research Associate (RA) - protein purification
At Alector, we believe that neurodegeneration and dementia are in fact immune disorders and we have made it our mission to empower the immune system to cure Alzehimer’s disease, frontotemporal dementia, ALS and other degenerative brain conditions. We are supported by leading investors in healthcare including Orbimed, Polaris, Google Ventures and count some of the most innovative pharma companies as our strategic backers.
Use your hard-earned research and laboratory skills to help us achieve our exciting and important mission of saving lives by curing neurodegenerative diseases. As the Protein Purification Research Associate for the development team (based in Milpitas), you’ll support the expansion of scale and scope of the purification and bioanalytical capabilities and be a critical early purification expert supporting the development of revolutionary therapies. You’ll support a variety of experiments in parallel, apply your existing technical skills, and learn new skills. You will play a key role in important research that will help grow the company and guide its direction. You’ll have great attention to detail, be efficient, self-motivated and independent in your work. You’ll be a critical member of the high-performing development team. As an early hire, you’ll be influential in championing and developing Alector’s culture.
During the first year, your goals will include:
- Supporting the expansion (in scale and scope) of an in-house state of the art protein and antibody purification facility.
o Bio-analytical characterization and implementation of a broad range of biochemical technologies may be included.
- Supporting initiatives to identify and establish higher-throughput emerging technologies and instrumentation for protein and antibody isolation and analysis
- Performing a variety of key protein and antibody purification and characterization activities to support our R&D initiatives, such as:
o Protein purification
o Buffer preparation
o Protein quantitation
o Protein concentration/formulation
o Protein stability testing
o Assay development; including analytical SEC and SDS-PAGE
Second year and beyond:
If you thrive in a fast-paced, exciting, mission-driven environment where you drive growth, this is the role for you. There is no limit to how far you can go with us.
- Bachelor’s Degree in biochemistry, chemistry, biology or a related scientific field (required); Masters’ Degree in the above areas (nice-to-have)
- Protein purification and characterization expertise
- Proficiency across several of the following technical skills
o Protein analytics techniques (SDS-PAGE gels; ELISA, UV spectroscopy, etc.)
o Proficient use of AKTA, FPLC, Agilent, and ForteBio systems (nice-to-have)
o Computer skills: PP, Word, Excel, SoftMax
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience preferred; including life sciences experience
While we’ve focused on what to look forward to during the first year, Day One is great, too: committed and driven colleagues, mission-driven company, fully dedicated facility for protein and antibody manufacturing, purification and characterization facility in Milpitas, competitive compensation, benefits and ownership stake. But these matter only if you’re excited to build and own something great that will make a difference in human life, and take on these challenges.